As an organisation, and as individuals, we value integrity, honesty, openness, personal excellence, constructive self-criticism, continual self-improvement, and mutual respect.
We won’t tell you what or what not to do. We will give you the information so you can decide what choice is right for you.
We won’t judge. No-one is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them, and to keep improving yourself.
We won’t give our opinion. Opinions are based on personal belief. Facts speak for themselves.
We will inform you. All our messages will have an unique informational value, to help you understand something better, so you can use this information in the choices you make.
Each message we write goes through a strict screening process. If other charitable organisations supply a set of messages for us, we will rewrite them if needed to fit our values.
Every message must meet the following criteria:
- be unique in informational content. No message will be re-used.
- be useful in informational content. You should be able to read it and get one concept of value from it that you can explain to someone else.
- be from a reliable source (if the message is factual or statistical).
- be able to be corroborated. You should be able to do your own research at other respected and trusted websites, or other sources, and come to the same information or conclusion.
- be neutral – non-biased, no opinions, no judgments.
- be free of influential language. The principal behind Respect Yourself is that we supply the information so that you can make your own decisions free of others’ opinions.
- be independent – no paid-for promotion of services from the business sector.
- use language appropriate to the audience.
- no advice given, just information.
- we won’t dictate what you should do – we will give you the tools to manage situations yourself, or with support.
In addition, we aim to provide the following either through one message or through a series of linked daily messages:
- messages worded in the positive.
- a positive action you can take away to try for yourself.