When looking to buy, first of all decide how much you can afford to pay for your first car. Not just the sum of money to buy the car itself but also the running costs – car insurance, MOT, road tax, petrol, repairs and servicing.

Buying a very fast, powerful car will cost you a fortune in insurance, never mind the initial outlay. A performance car isn’t a great idea for an inexperienced driver, your speed is more likely to ‘creep up’, making it easier to lose control. Consider a smaller car as the controls are lighter, parking is easier and insurance is cheaper.

Take Pass Plus which is a course designed by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) that will boost your driving experience. When you have successfully completed the course, you can get major discounts on insurance offered by companies taking part in the scheme.

To drive the car, you legally need to have Road tax, insurance and a valid MOT certificate.

Extra costs to consider

  • before test driving the car, find out the car’s insurance grouping and get at least one insurance quote to find out roughly how much you’ll be paying if you were to buy the car (remember to make sure you’re covered for your test drive via the dealer or the private buyer).
  • as soon as you decide to buy the car, shop around for insurance – most dealers will take a deposit (make sure you get a receipt) and save the car for you while you do this.
  • Road tax is required by law, and is valid for six or twelve months. The tax disc is displayed on the vehicle. When the tax has run out (check the date on the disc) you need to apply for a new one.
  • a valid MOT certificate is required on a vehicle’s third anniversary of registration. An MOT costs approximately £50 and the certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Source: The AA

Read more

  • Learning to drive: Tax and insurance @ AutoTrader

    Excerpt: You’ve passed your test and bought a car – the next step is to find out how you can legally drive on the road. We explain how to get everything you need – tax, insurance and an MOT.

  • Insurance and MOT needed to tax your vehicle @ DirectGov

    Excerpt: Before you can tax your vehicle you must have suitable insurance cover in place and if needed, the vehicle must be MOT tested. The wrong insurance cover, an overdue MOT, insurance certificates that are incorrect, misplaced or late arriving, these can all stop you from taxing your vehicle on time.

Message supplied by: Claire @ Respect Yourself