You are currently viewing Fireworks safety
By User Mike1024 (Photo taken by Mike1024.) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
  • Reading time:2 mins read
  • Post category:Personal safety

Each year 1000 people are seriously injured by fireworks. Most injuries are to the hands and face which can require skin grafts. Sparklers reach 2000°C.

Firework rockets can travel at up to 150 miles per hour.

If you are injured by a firework the important thing is to cool the area immediately with cold water, and to keep cooling for a minimum of 10 minutes. This takes the heat out of the wound and prevents further “cooking” of the skin. Remove jewellery where possible and clothing if it hasn’t stuck. Then wrap the area in clingfilm to keep it clean and protected and seek medical advice.


  • Don’t drink alcohol if you are setting off fireworks.
  • Always supervise children around fireworks.
  • Only take fireworks out of their box one at a time.
  • Read firework instructions by torchlight, and never a naked flame.
  • Keep a bucket of water handy. Used fireworks should be collected after the display with care. Douse with water, bury or place in a metal container.

Source: Bonfire Night @ HTS Training – The Health & First Aid blog

Image by User Mike1024 (Photo taken by Mike1024.) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons