Working as part of a team helps your project benefit from other people’s skills that you don’t have. Teamworking is a learnable skill in itself.
The ability to work effectively in a team is essential in most jobs.
Key points for teamwork
- Make a team charter – this sets out the goals to be achieved for the project, how you will allow everyone to effectively communicate, and how you will resolve conflict
- Teamwork is all about communication: getting your ideas across, and effectively discussing other people’s ideas
- Listen to others – there will be other right ideas and views which differ to your own. You won’t have the only right ideas
- Don’t take things personally if others don’t agree with your ideas
- Find out what people are good at at then assign roles accordingly: determine strengths and work with them
- Set deadlines for everyone, to establish clear boundaries
- Stay positive – you’re all trying to achieve the same goal, and working together will get this done much more effectively
Source: Power To Change